Wednesday 6 July 2016

End of term 2!


The same as last term, I sent my students a survey to find out their thoughts and feelings about their learning this term.

It becomes obvious who really thought about the questions and who just wrote anything. 
You can read their responses here.

For a quick overview, I have taken some screenshots.
For the questions 'what was something Miss Ashley was really good at?', and 'what is something Miss Ashley can get better at?'



Things I was good at - soccer, growth mindsets, helping, reading with the students, helping them with maths and teaching them how to tell the time. 
Things the students think I can better at - learning other languages (this has been a focus this term and I always say "I'm trying, I'm only learning!" when pronouncing other languages). Discussing with Archana, we think the students didn't really understand what this question was asking them, but that's alright.


It was awesome to see most of the students thinking hard about what they have learnt throughout the term. Lots of students learnt doubles, how to group numbers (i.e. 2 lots of 3 is 6, which is early multiplicative thinking), what a half and quarter is, equations with blocks (using physical materials to help him solve problems), skip counting and times tables. Yay!

We have had a real focus this term on making connections between the text and their own lives, using powerful words to describe characters/settings in details, and sounding out unknown words and learning their meaning.

Kiwi-can is an outside provider who comes into the school and teaches students values and some life-skills. A lot of my students remembered learning about integrity, taking ownership of their own actions and being held accountable for their own learning and actions.

I also put in a couple questions to get their thoughts about what they want to learn about next term.


We did a two week unit on plants this term, and myself and Archana want to do the same again next term. I asked the students to vote out of a given list which things they wanted to learn about (green column) and then if they had anything else they wanted to learn about (blue column). 

My students are getting better and better at thinking about their own learning, and they enjoy having their voice heard and being asked what they want to learn - having some of the control back. 

Definitely some food for thought in here!

2 comments:

  1. Wow what an amazing journey you have had Ashley this last 6 months! Your Blog is a reflection of the insightful nature of your teaching and learning. You have contributed hugely to the MDTA group with your very inclusive manner and generosity. I love the class evaluation of you, as it gives you real indicators of where to next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, this is such a wonderful idea! I really need to ask my learners more questions like this, it is very interesting to see their responses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me feedback!