Friday 24 August 2018

Manaiaklani Hui 2018



Round table
I found the round table a really good way to present my CoL Inquiry - I just sat down and talked about my kids. I could do that for hours... What I didn't expect was that I would get emotional talking about them and cry in front of Education Professionals (Deputy principals, university lecturers) and other teachers.  I couldn't help myself. I just love them so much. Anyway, it went really well and I would definitely do it again.


Next steps
- Make a summary of sorts that shows what I tried, what worked and WHY it did or didn't work. (Blog post to come...)
- Share this with SENCO people across the cluster.



Things to think about

  • Kids might be doing something well, but are we focusing on how they are doing it well?
  • Slide 18 - what things are the same? What are we still doing well?
  • Multiple texts in reading - compare, contrast, synthesis. Don't cut back on the quantity of reading.
  • SMALL BITES, EVERY STUDENT, EVERY DAY. 
  • Slide 41 - language is everything.
  • Slide 42 - focuses for this year moving forward.
  • Thinking about planning - start with the end. What do you want the outcome to be for students? What high-end thinking do you want them to do? Then designing activities that can get them there.
    • E.g. analogy of teaching lessons about Disney movies. You could just do comprehension, or you could aim to discuss the potentially problematic portrayal of beauty=moral standing (ugly step sisters are bad, beautiful sister is good) or the limited goals of women in Disney movies (they only aim to bag a rich husband).
  • STRIP THE SCAFFOLDING BACK SO THE KIDS FALL OVER AND STRUGGLE. 

Push your planning - push your activities - 
Instead of students spending 2 hours creating an animation to practice using speech and dialogue...

A WIDER SET OF SKILLSNAOMI ROSEDALE AND STUART MCNAUGHTON



Students at EA (Early Adapting schools) reported a stronger feeling of self-control (or managing self) than those at LA (late adapting schools).

Manaiakalani teachers saw huge potential for critical literacy and cognitive skills, but reported more focus on teaching self-control/social skills.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me feedback!