Tuesday 5 September 2017

Area/Perimeter - Critical Feedback


Today we launched our area/perimeter week. 
Last week I checked in with the students how much they knew/remembered about this topic, and they literally remembered nothing. 

Great.. 

I decided to mark out an array on my classroom floor, and use this to help them understand the difference between area and perimeter. 

I will acknowledge that we used "20 people" as an area measurement, which is not accurate. It should be 20cm2 or m2 etc. I said this to them as well, but regardless of the unit measurement, I think it definitely helped them understand the concept.

Before we began, I asked for prior knowledge. One of my top students (who said she did remember everything) told me that area is the outside, measured by plussing, and perimeter is the inside, measured by timsing. Er, not quite.


The array had 20 squares, and I have 20 students. 



My reflection
I think this lesson went really well. I liked how everybody had an opportunity to be involved which is quite rare. Even my very low students, were able to count the perimeter because they can count to 20.  Using their physical bodies kept them engaged, and the students who weren't actively counting etc were still able to participate by being part of the area. I really liked watching them work together and figure it out together, with little or no teacher direction. I only stepped in when they really got stuck, or if somebody had a genius thought I wanted to point out.
By the end of the lesson, all the students were able to understand which one I was talking about if I said 'make me a shape with a area/perimeter of'. They were able to tell me which was the inside and outside, and how to figure out each one.


I'd love some critical feedback on this lesson.
Please leave me a comment on something you think I did well, and something I can work on.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley this is a fantastic lesson! Firstly getting your students to assess what they know beforehand is so important as it helps you as a teacher guide the lesson and it also helps the students to feel success when the understand a concept at the end of a lesson. I saw you measuring up the array and straight away knew it would be a success - when we take subjects that aren't usually 'physical/active' and make them into these types of activities the kids thrive. I think these types of physical lessons can be really fantastic for the 'lower' learners in your class as it is a way of engaging and involving them. You can see the students making active connections and problem solving "do we need one more person? No that won't be right!" - they are having to visualise the solution in real time. I think this could also be a great lesson for multiplication - using the array you could have the students in groups physically show you a times table. E.g. show me 2x3 or show me 12 and have the students model the different times tables and how to make 12 (hope that makes sense).
    I am always envious of your lessons Ashley and how engaging they are for the students. This lesson looked amazing and it looks like very rich learning!
    Nga Mihi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right Ashley! Students do forget things that they have learnt some time ago and you did a great job of revisiting the topic. It is a great lesson where students understood the concept of perimeter and area well. All students were engaged, even the ones who are reluctant sometimes. Good teachers always plan their lessons in a way that will keep the enthusiasm of their students going. Well done Ashley!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me feedback!